Google AdSense

Amazon Ad

Monday, January 22, 2007

An early 1700's Dutch ship Huis te Warmelo

I am not very familiar with Dutch warships in the period 1700 to 1740. In looking for the Huis te Neck, I saw the Noorderkwartier ship Huis te Warmel. Ron van Maanen has some of the details about the ship, which was built at Medemblick in 1708. The Huis te Warmel was wrecked in 1715. This is the information that I have:
The frigate Huis te Warmel
  built by Cornelis Willemsz Blaauwvlag
    at Medemblick in 1708, on contract

Dimensions: 125ft x 35-1/4ft x 15-1/4ft

40 to 44 guns

Sources:
  1. Ron van Maanen, unpublished manuscript "Dutch Warships 1600-1800", undated but circa 1992

4 comments:

Peter Swart said...

Jim, some years ago i wrote an article about Noorderkwartier warships that were build in the period 1700-1760 and the participation of Enkhuizen shipbuilders.
The information about the ship Huis te Warmelo you have posted is correct. Blaauwevlag (1673-1760) was a private shipbuilder, based in Enkhuizen. For the sum of 29.500 guilders he was contracted in 1708 to build the 125 feet ship in Medemblik. Around 1735 Blaauwevlag became master shipbuilder for the East India Company in Enkhuizen.
The 140 feet warship Huis te Neck was build in Hoorn in 1708.
If you want, i can send you a copy of the article (in dutch). It contains a list of 12 ships. Regards, Peter Swart

Jim said...

Peter, thank you. I would be interested in seeing your article. I have to work at reading Dutch, but do it all the time, as I am spending a great deal of time reading handwritten Dutch from 1651 to 1653, from photographed documents from the Nationaal Archief. I don't seem to be able to see your email, so I hope you read this comment.

Peter Swart said...

Jim, i read your comment. I will send the article by mail.
The full title is: 'Aen de minst aennemende besteedt' De bouw van admiraliteitsschepen door Enkhuizer aannemers 1700-1760.
It was published in: Steevast 2005 (annual publication of the Enkhuizen historical society), page 5-23.

Unknown said...

I started looking information regarding Huis te Warmelo as of late, and stumbled upon this bit of discussion. As such, I felt it appropriate to mention that the ship's wreck has been located near Helsinki, Finland.

Here is the link to the article, which I do apologize for it being in Finnish.

http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/a1457924940176?ref=hs-prio-1-1

I'm not sure what use that could be of, but... eh, it felt right.

Amazon Context Links